Pain and discomfort, skin irritation, infection, skin discoloration, and scarring are possible consequences of surgical or chemical tattoo removal. According to clinicians and dermatologists, what you must do after tattoo removal is (1) follow care instructions provided by a physician or practitioner. (2) keep treated skin clean. (3) contact a doctor if the skin exhibits signs of infection or other complications.
As an analgesic, anti-inflammatory, and anti-microbial agent, using CBD oil for tattoo removal aftercare promises to cut healing time, improve skin health, and manage or prevent complications, including the ones mentioned above.
It is also worth mentioning that laser tattoo removal presents the lowest risk of the mentioned complications. Consequently, if possible, choose laser removal.
CBD oil for tattoo removal aftercare: Quick take.
- Laser tattoo removal is safer compared to chemical and surgical removal.
- Massage CBD oil into scars to prevent growth (wait at least two weeks before massaging after surgery).
- Without a regular massage, scars may attach to bone and other tissues.
- Dermatologists and physicians caution against the use of chemicals to remove tattoos.
- A layer of CBD oil and petroleum jelly can help prevent infection.
- After tattoo removal surgery, you must wash the wound at least once every 24 hours using anti-microbial soap to stop infections.
- If a wound becomes infected, seek emergency services. Without treatment, infections increase the risk of scarring and keloids.
- Apply pressure and massage scars to prevent or lower the risk of keloids.
What is the biggest concern with tattoo removal, and how can CBD oil help?
Keloids, poor wound healing, infections, permanent skin discoloration, and skin damage are all possible consequences of surgical and chemical tattoo removal.
What happens is both methods damage the skin. Surgical excision involves the removal of tattooed skin. Considering that ink pigments are usually located deep in the skin, it is advisable to only consider this tattoo removal method if you have a small tattoo.
The benefit of surgical removal is that the ink will be completely removed.
Post excision, a care provider should provide care instructions centered on preventing scarring, infection, and damage.
CBD oil for tattoo aftercare: What helps prevent scar tissue after surgery?
Before you consider surgical tattoo removal, you must consult a dermatologist or physician to fully appreciate the risks. What you need to be aware of is:
- Some individuals are prone to scarring and keloids. Check family history, do keloids run in the family? If so, it could benefit you to avoid damaging the skin or using alternative noninvasive removal methods such as laser tattoo removal.
- Applying pressure using silicone scar sheets may help prevent scar formation and keloids.
Why use CBD oil?
CBD oil is a non-psychoactive extract of hemp or cannabis that you may ingest or apply topically to prevent scarring and inflammation. The cannabinoid works by keeping the skin moist, creating a protective barrier between the wound and the environment, and destroying microorganisms, including antibiotic-resistant strains of bacteria.
Anecdotal evidence suggests that, for better results, you should use CBD oil jelly or butter. Alternatively, you may warm petroleum jelly and then mix it with CBD oil.
How do you prevent scarring after surgical tattoo removal?
In general, post-surgical scar prevention entails:
- Clean treated skin at least once every 24 hours using anti-microbial soap. Without cleaning, dirt, debris, and bacteria can cause complications, including infection and inflammation.
- Apply CBD oil, CBD butter, or petroleum jelly. The idea is to create a protective layer between damaged skin and the environment and to keep the wound moist. Remember, dry skin is easier to break and increases the risk of infection and inflammation. If you are prone to keloids, you should apply silicone gel sheets.
- Change the band-aid daily until the skin heals. Before you apply a band-aid ensure that you apply generous amounts of CBD oil or petroleum jelly to the wound to avoid damage when removing.
- Protect the skin from the sun and other environmental irritants.
In general, follow your doctor’s instructions, and use CBD oil religiously to prevent scarring.
Why massage CBD oil after the wound heals?
Without regular massages, a scar may become hard and raised, and it can stick to bones or underlying tissues. For some, the scar may continue growing or develop into a keloid.
As an anti-inflammatory agent, CBD oil interacts with the endocannabinoid system when applied topically, or ingested, to help manage inflammation.
CBD oil massage for surgical wounds: What to remember.
- Do not massage fresh wounds. It takes about two weeks for surgical wounds to heal. Massaging fresh wounds can lead to infection and skin damage.
- massage scars using clean fingers or thumb following a circular motion. Avoid rubbing too hard, as it may damage the skin.
- To keep the wound moist, you may apply CBD oil, petroleum jelly, or vitamin E. Avoid products or lotions that contain perfumes or other irritants.
CBD oil for tattoo aftercare: What helps prevent scarring after tattoo chemical removal?
Acids burn and damage skin. Consequently, dermatologist caution against using chemicals to use remove tattoos.
Additionally, tattoo equipment cuts and deposit ink into deeper layers of the skin, meaning chemical products are unlikely to remove a tattoo completely.
In other words, chemical tattoo removal does not work.
What it does instead is damage and irritate the upper layers of skin, creating the risk of multiple complications, including:
- Irreversible skin damage.
After using chemical tattoo peels, expect side effects including pain, itching, weeping sores, scabs, permanent scars, keloids, allergic reaction, skin discoloration, and other complications.
How risky is tattoo removal?
It depends on who you work with and the method used. As mentioned, laser tattoo removal carries the lowest risk of complications because it is not too invasive.
CBD oil can be used after any tattoo removal procedure because (1) the cannabinoid has an excellent safety profile (little to no risk of irritation or an allergic reaction). (2) CBD is a powerful anti-inflammatory agent. (3) as a moisturizer and antimicrobial agent, the cannabinoid may help lower the risk of infection.
You may use:
- Pure CBD oil. If you are allergic to coconut oil or other carrier oils, it is recommended that you use pure CBD.
- Full spectrum CBD products. Cannabis and hemp plants contain at least 400 compounds and cannabinoids, each with varying benefits. For chronic pain, a combination of CBD and THC is recommended.