According to recent medical studies, CBD or cannabidiol shows promise as protection against inflammation and retinal neuronal cell death, and it may preserve the blood-retinal barrier. That indicates that CBD is a potential treatment for diabetic retinopathy.
One study claims that CBD may worsen glaucoma.
Is CBD good for the eyes? And how do you use cannabidiol to improve eye health? And are there any risks involved?
Below is everything you need to know about CBD for eye health.
Quick take: how to improve eye health using CBD oil.
- CBD may improve eye health by treating or preventing illnesses that affect the eyes, including anxiety.
- THC can lower pressure in the eyes and is thus a possible treatment for glaucoma.
- CBD may increase intraocular pressure exacerbating glaucoma symptoms.
- High blood pressure can cause vision problems.
- CBD shows promise as a potential treatment for high blood pressure.
CBD for eye health: How do I improve my eyes naturally?
Did you know that there are cannabinoid receptors in your eyes? Additionally, the endocannabinoid system is a vast system of cellular receptors and chemical signals -densely packed throughout your body.
CBD, a non-psychoactive extract of hemp, interacts with cannabinoid receptors throughout your body to trigger effects, including inflammation and pain relief. As is today, anecdotal, and expert evidence claim that cannabidiol has uses in the treatment and prevention of over 50 illnesses, including eye problems.
CBD for eye health: what the evidence says.
- CBD is an anti-inflammatory, neuroprotectant, and antioxidant and may thus serve a role in the treatment and prevention of multiple conditions that affect the eyes.
- THC may lower intraocular pressure for short periods providing relief from glaucoma. Some studies suggest that CBD may exacerbate glaucoma.
- CBD can reduce neurotoxicity and inflammation in rat models with diabetic retinopathy.
- There are no long-term studies on the long-term effects of using CBD for glaucoma. Anecdotal evidence suggests that it may improve symptoms, and some existing studies suggest that use may worsen symptoms.
In short, if you have glaucoma, experts recommend not using cannabinoids for treatment until more studies on the effects come out.
If you have glaucoma, we recommend consulting a medical professional before using CBD or other alternative treatment.
How do you use CBD for eye health?
CBD eye drops and ingestibles, including CBD gummies, sweets, and so on, can be used to improve eye health.
Why use CBD eye drops?
As mentioned, CBD is a neuroprotectant, antioxidant and anti-inflammatory agent. As an antioxidant, CBD may prevent oxidative damage and ischemia. Ischemia refers to a condition where not enough oxygen reaches certain parts of the body, including the eyes. As an anti-inflammatory agent, CBD eye drops may help prevent or relieve eye inflammation. And as an antioxidant -CBD may also help prevent age-related macular degeneration (AMD).
Should you use CBD for eye health?
CBD has been linked to numerous benefits for the eyes, but there is one downside. That is CBD may increase pressure in the eyes in some patients.
Increased pressure in the eyes is problematic in that it may worsen glaucoma symptoms.
CBD for eye health: how to strengthen eyes using cannabidiol.
Poor eye health or vision does not always stem from the eyes, it could be a product of anxiety, lack of protection from environmental factors, too much screen time, and not taking proper care of your eyes.
How anxiety and stress affect your eyes and how CBD may help.
Tunnel vision, seeing stars, shimmers, increased sensitivity to light, and blurry vision -are symptoms of stress or anxiety. If left unchecked, the presence of elevated cortisol levels will affect the eyes and brain, increasing the risk of optic neuropathy.
Why do I lose my vision when I get stressed?
What happens is high stress/anxiety levels may cause vision loss or degeneration, vision loss, in turn increases anxiety or stress levels creating a vicious cycle. You may avoid falling into this cycle by keeping your anxiety levels down.
The symptoms above may also be a consequence of eye strain, diabetes, high blood sugar, migraine, or corneal abrasion. Because of that, if the symptoms persist or escalate, you should consult a physician immediately.
As an anxiolytic, CBD may help keep your stress, depression, or anxiety levels low.
How do I know if blurry vision is anxiety related?
Anxiety symptoms may occur suddenly or progressively. An indicator that vision problems are anxiety related to it -is the occurrence of said symptoms accompanied by fear, stress, anxiety, or nervousness.
Remember, when your anxiety or stress levels spike, the telltale signs are:
- Increased heart rate.
- A sense of danger or doom.
- Weakness or trembling.
- High blood pressure.
CBD for eye health: diabetes, high blood pressure, and circulatory health.
If you are diabetic, maintaining your blood sugar level is important because it can help prevent eye damage. Remember, high blood sugar also increases the risk of glaucoma.
Eye blood sugar and the eyes: what you need to know.
- Consuming sugar in large amounts can cause blurry or fuzzy vision. You may experience the effect after a meal. Diabetes may also cause similar symptoms, meaning if the problem occurs frequently, visit a general practitioner to find the cause.
- Excessive consumption of sugar causes fluid buildup in the eyes -increasing the risk of illness or discomfort.
Does CBD have any effect on blood sugar?
CBD does not exhibit any effect on blood sugar levels in persons living with type 2 diabetes, but a variation of THC may lower blood sugar levels.
What we do know about CBD and diabetes is:
- Diabetes can cause vision problems, and so can high sugar levels in the blood. If you are diabetic, experts recommend avoiding or consuming pasta, white rice, breakfast cereals, potatoes, and sugary foods or beverages in small amounts.
- CBD may lower the risk of type 2 diabetes.
- Keeping stress, depression, and anxiety levels low may help relieve diabetes symptoms and improve eye health.
CBD for eye health: high blood pressure.
Having high blood pressure increases the risk of a stroke, and if left unchecked, it may lead to vision problems.
According to multiple studies published in the National Library of Medicine, CBD can lower high blood pressure. Additionally, compared to hypertension medicines, CBD oil is a safe alternative.
- CBD is a vasorelaxant (relaxes blood vessels) and reduces vascular inflammation.
It is worth mentioning that some patients develop tolerance, meaning you should use CBD for high blood pressure in moderation. You may use CBD if you experience symptoms caused by high blood pressure. Remember, not all persons living with high blood pressure exhibit symptoms -making blood pressure checkups necessary.
CBD for eye health: how to improve eye health.
If you are having vision problems, it is in your best interest to work with a professional to weed out the possible causes. Regular CBD consumption indirectly improves eye health by helping maintain “good” blood pressure and managing your stress and anxiety levels.
But there are risks, including glaucoma.
You may use CBD to improve eye health by (1) using CBD to relieve pain or inflammation. (2) you may ingest it to enjoy its antioxidant, neuroprotective and anti-inflammatory benefits.
According to the CDC, to protect your vision, you should.
- Wear eye protection and limit screen time. Too much light or not resting your eyes enough will lead to strain, inflammation, and sometimes headaches. Depending on the nature of your work or environment, you should wear some form of protection.
- Maintain blood sugar. Consuming too much sugar at a time can cause fluid buildup in the eyes.
- Check your family history. Do vision problems run in the family? If so, you could be at elevated risk of developing complications.