Dry skin, hyperpigmentation, and new patches on sun-exposed areas of the body can be symptoms of actinic keratosis. The condition develops slowly, and the symptoms typically occur after you turn 40. Actinic keratosis can escalate into skin cancer. Consequently, dermatologists recommend limiting sun and UV rays’ exposure and practicing proper skin care.
To lower the risk, a combination of cleansing, exfoliation, moisturizing, and avoiding harsh soaps and products is recommended.
CBD sugar scrubs are gentle on the skin and can be used to lower the risk. If you have actinic keratosis, dermatologists recommend gentle exfoliation. Exfoliating too hard can cause pain, discomfort, or skin damage.
Loss of skin elasticity and fine lines and wrinkles are usually the first signs of sun damage on the skin.
Actinic keratosis treatment focuses on removing lesions and replacing them with healthy skin. We recommend using CBD oil and CBD sugar scrub to complement treatment and manage symptoms.
Below is everything you need to know about actinic keratosis and CBD oil/CBD sugar scrubs for sun damage.
CBD sugar scrubs for sun damage: Quick take.
- Regular application of CBD oil may lower the risk of skin cancer, according to medical studies.
- Avoid the midday sun. The best time to sunbathe is before 11 am and after 3 pm, depending on climate or weather conditions.
- Actinic keratosis bumps are pink-, red-, gray- or skin-colored lesions that appear on areas of the body that are exposed to the sun.
- Left untreated, actinic keratosis can develop into skin cancer.
- CBD oil can cause apoptosis in cancerous cells.
- If you are on medication, follow dermatologist instructions to lower the risk of development.
- Regular exfoliation can help prevent or correct sun damage.
Is actinic keratosis skin cancer, and can CBD oil help?
If left untreated, actinic keratosis can develop into cancer. The risk factors for the condition are lack of protection from the sun or UV rays and being above 40.
You are also at risk of developing the condition if:
- You have a compromised immune system.
- Have a history of sunburns.
- You have a fair or light complexion.
Consequently, if you are above 40 and notice changes in skin health, it is in your best interest to consult a dermatologist. A visit to the doctor will help verify if the lesions have escalated into cancer and the type of care that is necessary.
What to remember:
- Consult a dermatologist if you develop patches or spots that grow, bleed, or persist.
- Wear sunscreen and protective clothing when outdoors.
What are the symptoms of actinic keratosis, and can CBD oil help?
Actinic keratosis will cause symptoms including:
- Sandpaper-like skin/dry skin.
- Pink, red, brown, or grey lesions (sun-exposed skin).
- Pain and tenderness.
- Discomfort, including burning, stinging, or itching.
- Unusual growths.
How is actinic keratosis treated, and when to use CBD oil and sugar scrub?
As mentioned, treatment options for the condition focus on removing damaged skin. The options include excision, photodynamic therapy, cryotherapy, and chemical peels.
All said options can lead to skin damage, scarring, pain, and discomfort.
Why use CBD oil?
CBD oil is an extract of hemp or cannabis that is gentle on the skin and exhibits antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties.
Consequently, you may apply it directly to lesions or actinic keratosis to relieve the majority of the symptoms listed above.
Additionally, cannabidiol has an excellent safety profile. Meaning, drug interactions, and allergic reactions are unlikely.
A study published in the National Library of Medicine found that CBD oil exhibits anti-carcinogenic effects at different levels of skin cancer progression. The study’s findings suggest that CBD plays a role in the inhibition of tumor growth, induces apoptosis in cancerous cells, and helps the body prevent proliferation, invasion, and angiogenesis.
More studies are needed to verify the claims above.
What we do know is:
- Skin cancer and chronic pain are qualifying conditions for medical marijuana in the majority of states.
- CBD oil has an excellent safety profile when applied to the skin.
According to the cited study’s conclusion, quote:
“Preclinical results of recent years, especially with regard to antiproliferative and growth inhibitory effects, show that cannabinoids could be a promising option for the systemic treatment of melanoma and squamous cell carcinoma of the skin.”
Can exfoliating remove sun damage?
Exfoliation is a major aspect of correcting sun damage as it removes the outer damaged layer of skin. The removal of dead cells, dirt, debris, and sebum allows the growth of newer -healthier skin. It also boosts collagen production and improves skin elasticity.
Why use CBD sugar scrubs?
CBD sugar scrubs promise benefits for the skin, including:
- Better medicine/product penetration. Dead skin, dirt, and debris can block the penetration of medicines and skin care products.
- CBD oil is highly medicinal and can thus be used to prevent multiple ailments and infections that can exacerbate actinic keratosis.
Should you exfoliate actinic keratosis?
There are no home remedies for actinic keratosis, but you may gently exfoliate using CBD sugar scrubs. The side effects of exfoliation or medical scraping may include scarring, infection, and changes in skin color.
Dermatologists may recommend at-home treatment options, including diclofenac sodium, Ingenol mebutate, or Tirbanibilun ointment.
Some of the listed medicines can cause side effects, including nausea, drowsiness, ringing ears, and headaches.
- Massaging CBD oil into treated skin and ingestion to relieve nausea caused by medication.
- Regular exfoliation to prevent sun damage.
After exfoliating actinic keratosis or undergoing a removal procedure, you must:
- Clean treated skin at least once every twenty-four hours using anti-microbial soap to lower the risk of infection.
- Reduce sun exposure as it may cause reoccurrence or exacerbate existing lesions.
- Schedule regular visits with a dermatologist to lower the risk of reoccurrence.
- Apply CBD oil religiously to lower the risk of infection or skin cancer.
- CBD oil may also prevent the development of scar or keloids post excision or other therapy.
- Wear protective clothing and high-SPF sunscreen when necessary.