Good nutrition, exercise, getting enough sleep, and stress management are some lifestyle changes that, according to mental health specialists, can help improve ADHD symptoms. Using CBD oil for ADHD not only helps manage symptoms but may also make it easier to make the recommended lifestyle changes above.
Can you fix ADHD without medication? How do you incorporate CBD into the management of ADHD? Below is everything you need to know.
Quick take: lifestyle changes for ADHD.
- Persons living with ADHD have a higher risk of developing an addiction or indulging in risky behavior.
- CBD is a mood regulator, and some studies claim that it may discourage drug-seeking behavior.
- ADHD is genetic, meaning it may be passed from parent to child.
- If you do not have a qualifying condition for medical marijuana, you should avoid use until you turn at least 18 or 21.
Can your lifestyle affect ADHD?
Depending on the severity of the symptoms, ADHD may or may not require medication. To be sure, it is advisable to consult a GP or mental health specialist. However, there are several lifestyle changes that you can make to make living with ADHD easier.
In short, if you were born prematurely, are epileptic, or have suffered brain damage, you need to make the following lifestyle changes to lower your risk.
We recommend adding CBD oil to your lifestyle. Why?
First, we are not saying that CBD is a cure for ADHD -currently, there is no cure for the condition. Consequently, management is a mix of medication, therapy, and making necessary lifestyle changes.
The benefit CBD promises persons living with ADHD is; CBD oil can help manage or prevent ADHD symptoms.
Lifestyle changes to make: How can I fix ADHD without medication?
If you are on ADHD medication, it is vital to do your research on the medicine’s effects and CBD’s safety.
Get at least 7 hours of sleep daily.
If you have ADHD, you will likely have problems sleeping. Doctors may recommend sleep medications that create the risk of dependence.
CBD oil for better sleep.
Research into CBD’s effects on sleep is ongoing. What we do know, according to anecdotal and existing studies is, CBD may improve sleep quality.
Getting enough sleep benefits your brain and body in numerous ways. If you have ADHD, getting enough sleep may lower your stress or anxiety levels, and it helps the body heal and recover.
The question is, how do you calm the mind before sleeping?
When ingested in high doses, CBD is a mild sedative. CBD also calms the mind and body, encouraging positive thoughts.
What to remember:
- CBD exhibits antidepressant and anxiolytic properties and has uses in the treatment of mood disorders. The mechanism is under investigation.
- Medical research recommends 1500mg as the maximum daily dose of CBD for adults. Excessive use of CBD may damage the liver, according to animal tests.
Additionally, CBD may also help improve symptoms, including:
- Sleep apnea.
- Restless leg syndrome.
- Circulatory problems that obstruct quality sleep.
For it to work, one must couple religious consumption of CBD with (1) avoiding alcohol or caffeine before bed. (2) taking fewer or no naps during the day. (3) creating a sleep and wake routine.
CBD oil for ADHD-related seizures.
According to medical research, at least fourteen percent of children living with ADHD develop seizures. Seizures can damage the brain and create other symptoms.
Why use CBD oil?
The FDA has approved a synthetic version of CBD as a medicine for seizures. Why?
CBD has neuroprotective qualities. Consequently, the compound protects the brain from damage and can prevent seizures. CBD prevents seizures in persons with ADHD, tuberous sclerosis complex, Dravet syndrome, and other conditions.
Unlike other medications, CBD’s side effects are mild.
To lessen the risk of seizures, you may couple CBD intake with:
- Avoid fatigue and get enough sleep. When fatigued -you are at elevated risk of suffering a seizure.
- Avoid alcohol and substance abuse if you are at risk.
- Keep your stress levels low.
- Get plenty of exercise.
Lower the risk of substance abuse.
Multiple studies claim that persons with ADHD are at elevated risk of developing substance abuse disorders. Excessive use of cannabis may also contribute.
Substance abuse: Why use CBD oil for ADHD?
Unlike THC, CBD is a non-psychoactive cannabinoid. Because of that, it does not carry the risk of addiction or dependence.
How does it work?
- CBD interacts with neurotransmitters related to addiction and has effects on opioids and psychostimulant addiction (CBD may discourage drug-seeking behavior).
Substance abuse can grow into addiction and dependence. Because of that, you must also make the following lifestyle changes.
- Stay occupied. Boredom can cause cravings and mood changes. Keeping the mind distracted can help prevent it.
- Couple CBD intake with relaxation. CBD calms the mind and body. To enhance the experience, you may get a hobby, try yoga, or indulge in activities that relax you.
- Limit exposure to substances. You do not have to give up your friends, all you need do is create boundaries,
ADHD, the facts, coping mechanisms, and how to incorporate CBD into your lifestyle.
Persons living with ADHD should be aware that:
- The hours you or an at-risk loved one spent behind a screen or sleeping may influence ADHD onset. Lack of sleep and excessive use of smartphones, computers, or TVS may increase the risk.
- Activities that stimulate cognition may lower the risk of ADHD symptom onset. Puzzles, reading, and board games may help.
Coping mechanisms for ADHD.
Mental health experts recommend:
Spend more time outdoors.
Spending time outdoors if you have ADHD is beneficial because it helps manage stress and anxiety levels, and according to research, it may increase attention spans. Additionally, spending more time outdoors may improve immune function, eyesight if you are young, short-term memory, and you get more vitamin D.
Watch what you eat.
A poor diet will not cause ADHD. Instead, what it may do is make the symptoms more pronounced. It is not necessary to give up unhealthy foods. All you have to do is limit intake or substitute them with healthy foods.
CBD oil for ADHD: How to incorporate cannabidiol into ADHD management.
ADHD affects the mind, body, and skin. Skin picking is a common symptom that increases the risk of infection and damage. Additionally, high-stress levels and lack of sleep triggered by the condition may lead to skin conditions, including psoriasis and other inflammatory conditions.
CBD for the skin is a preventive and curative measure. Meaning using topical CBD products may lessen the risk of occurrence.
CBD topicals you may use include CBD balms, creams, ointments, and isolates.
Vaping CBD oil is the quickest way to lower anxiety levels because it offers higher bioavailability, and the medicine reaches the bloodstream faster. However, research suggests that vaping and smoking are the unhealthiest methods of cannabinoid consumption. It may cause pulmonary and circulatory health issues.
We recommend sublingual ingestion, that is place a few drops of CBD oil under your tongue.
If you do not like CBD’s earthy taste, you should consider gummies and other ingestible.
Are there any risks of using CBD for ADHD?
Legally, CBD extracted from hemp is legal across all states. However, in some states, minors must have recommendations from a healthcare provider to access CBD oil.
The side effects of CBD, as mentioned, are mild. One may experience fatigue, diarrhea, or dry mouth.
It is advisable to consult with a mental health specialist before you start using CBD for ADHD or other supplements.