CBD moisturizers serve five basic functions (1) moisturizers keep your skin looking young. (2) moisturizing helps to prevent wrinkles. (3) moisturizers can prevent skin damage after a hot shower. (4) moisturizing reduces the appearance of blemishes and skin damage. (5) moisturizers keep your skin from drying out.
Why use CBD moisturizers? Are cannabidiol moisturizers safe for the skin? Below is what you need to know.
Quick take: Is CBD a good moisturizer?
- You may add a few drops of CBD to moisturizers or other skin care products.
- Avoid products that contain harmful ingredients that damage the skin.
- Moisturizing at least 2 times a day with CBD will keep your skin from drying out and prevent itching.
- Inhaling CBD may reduce stress and anxiety.
- Massaging CBD into the skin can help prevent or manage pain.
What is CBD, and why should you use cannabidiol moisturizers?
CBD is a non-psychoactive extract of hemp or marijuana that has potential uses in the treatment and management of over 50 illnesses, amongst them multiple skin ailments. Non-psychoactive means that consuming the chemical will not cause a high nor will it cause dependence or addiction.
Medical studies and anecdotal evidence suggest that CBD can treat or prevent skin ailments, including eczema, dryness, and acne. The chemical offers benefits including:
- Anti-inflammation. When applied topically or ingested. CBD has been shown to relieve inflammation anywhere in or on the body. Consequently, adding CBD to skin care products can help manage or prevent inflammatory conditions.
- Pain relief. Unlike opioid painkillers, CBD may discourage drug-seeking behavior, and using it to treat or manage pain will not cause addiction or dependence.
- Stress and anxiety relief. Damaged skin can be attributed to stress and anxiety. By relieving or preventing stress and anxiety, CBD may keep your face and body looking and feeling young.
Why is moisturizing important?
For centuries -beauty enthusiasts have been moisturizing their skin using beeswax, milk, olive oil, bread, and cannabis extracts. The reason for that is moisturizing keeps the human skin looking and feeling young.
If you do not moisturize, your skin will become dry and rough. Medical conditions, bathing/lack of bathing, environmental factors, and frequent cleansing may also cause dryness.
If you do not bathe and moisturize regularly, environmental factors, including the air and climate will dry out your skin.
What happens if you do not moisturize your skin and face?
Failure to moisturize will cause skin problems, including:
Fine lines and wrinkles.
Moisturizing plumps out fine lines and wrinkles. Consequently, if you do not moisturize, wrinkles will appear more pronounced, and you may look older than you are. The dryness may also cause peeling, and your skin may appear ashy.
“Ashy-ness” may also be a sign of dehydration, meaning it is important to stay hydrated.
Lack of a protective layer
When you apply moisturizer, the product forms a protective layer above the skin. Without that layer, environmental factors, an imbalance in skin PH, dust, and debris, may trigger problems, including redness, dryness, and inflammation.
Increased acne and sensitivity
Without moisture, the skin dries out, increasing the risk of breakout and acne. If you are prone to acne, it is in your best interest to keep your skin moist and to avoid products that may cause or worsen acne.
CBD has healing properties, and it possesses antibacterial properties.
According to a study published in the National Library of Medicine.
“These experiments confirmed that CBD has antibacterial activity against our target bacteria. Additionally, our comparative studies showed that CBD has an antibacterial activity similar to ampicillin with a MIC roughly one-fifth of ampicillin.”
Dry skin and some skin products can cause itchy skin. Medical studies confirm that CBD can help reduce or relieve itching caused by disease or skin dryness.
A safe natural way to moisturize
What is different about CBD is that the compound is an extract of hemp or marijuana. That is beneficial in that if you use pure CBD, you are not exposing your skin to potentially damaging processed chemicals.
There are multiple ways to use CBD as a moisturizer.
You may mix CBD with other skin care products
It is not a must that you purchase CBD moisturizer. Because of its good safety profile and limited interactions with other products, you may add a few drops of CBD to a product of your choosing.
For safety reasons, it is advisable to avoid moisturizers or skin care products that contain ingredients including:
- Synthetic fragrances. We recommend natural fragrances.
- Triclosan. A toxic synthetic agent that has been linked to cancer.
- Aluminum or harmful heavy metals.
Instead, go for beauty products that contain safe alternatives, including glycerin, hyaluronic acid, SPF, or ceramides.
Go all natural
You may combine CBD and natural moisturizers, including aloe vera, honey, coconut oil, olive oil, shea butter, avocado oil, cucumber, and sunflower seed oil, to create a safe and effective moisturizer.
If you are prone to allergic reactions, you should spot-test the ingredients on a patch of skin before applying. If you notice redness, itching, or other allergy symptoms, you should avoid the irritant.
The majority of CBD users do not report allergic reactions. The side effects of consumption are mild and go away if you cease consumption.
How to prevent dry skin
CBD application is part of the equation, to keep your skin looking and feeling young. It is recommended that you also:
- Manage stress and anxiety. CBD’s anxiolytic properties mean that it can help you manage stress when inhaled or consumed.
- Exercise regularly. Regular exercise benefits your skin and body, and CBD aids muscle repair and recovery. Meaning you should use it post and after a workout.
- Limit salt intake and drink plenty of water to avoid dehydration. Dehydration will cause your skin to look dry and dull.
- Eat healthily. it is not a must that you give up junk food. All you need to do is limit junk food intake.
How many times should you moisturize in a day?
To seal in moisture, it is recommended that you moisturize immediately after taking a shower.
To avoid drying out the skin, keep the limit below 2 times a day.
What to remember
- Overusing moisturizers or other beauty products may worsen dryness or other skin problems.
- Learn your skin type and invest in products that suit it.
What type of CBD moisturizer should I use?
There are five types of skin -all of which have different needs. If you are unsure of your skin type, you may consult with a dermatologist or look for the following characteristics.
CBD moisturizer for oily skin
Excessive fat production in the sebaceous gland causes oily skin. The characteristics include visible pores, shiny skin, you experience breakouts often, and wrinkles are less pronounced.
If you have oily skin, dermatologists recommend that you avoid:
- oily, fatty, or greasy products that may clog pores and increase oiliness.
- Alcohol-based products.
- Heavy or sticky products such as petroleum jelly.
If the distribution of sweat and sebaceous glands is not homogenous, you will likely have combination skin. As the name suggests, combination skin refers to a mix of oily and dry. Characteristics include flaking in some parts and oily or shiny skin in others.
If you have combination skin, you may use a combination of products to keep dry areas moisturized and to keep oil levels in check. In other words, target your skincare routine and avoid applying heavy or oily products on oily areas, usually around the forehead and nose.
Dry or scaly skin
Dry scaly skin is often a consequence of environmental factors or an underlying illness. We recommend staying hydrated and applying CBD moisturizer regularly.
Normal skin looks clean, is soft, the texture is regular and does not require too much care.
But that does not mean that you do not have to moisturize. Failure to moisturize will lead to damage or dry skin.
If you have sensitive skin, you are prone to redness, itching, tightness, or discomfort when exposed to environmental factors or products.
We recommend avoiding harsh products and moisturizing to form a protective layer against the environment.