A study published in the National Library of Medicine in 2021, says that CBD/Cannabidiol, a hemp/marijuana extract has a role in modulating alopecia triggered by an excess of signaling pathways and hormonal changes. According to the findings, CBD has, quote: “promising application for alopecia treatment.”
As you get older multiple age-related conditions, including thyroid disorders, anemia, pregnancy, autoimmune disease, and some skin disorders may lead to hair loss. Can CBD help prevent or regrow lost hair?
Yes. CBD can help to regrow hair. Below is why.
- It takes up to six months for CBD to regrow hair.
- CBD users report a 93.5% increase in hair volume within six months.
- CBD can help combat or prevent stress-related alopecia.
- Medications, illnesses, and hair care routines may contribute to hair loss.
- CBD can help strengthen and thicken hair.
- Stress and anxiety may contribute to hair loss.
How does CBD Stimulate Hair Growth?
According to medical research, the main cause of hair loss for many in the US is androgenic alopecia. Androgenic alopecia is a hair loss condition triggered by dihydrotestosterone. In women, androgenic alopecia can be triggered by pregnancy, birth control pills, family history/genetics, and menopause.
CBD can help slow down, reverse, or prevent hair loss because of the following reasons.
- CBD has a negative allosteric modulator role. CBD’s modulation of the body’s CB1 receptors has been proven to cause hair shaft elongation.
- CBD increases Wnt Signaling. The Wnt signaling pathway regulates cell migration, neural patterning, organogenesis, and cell fate determination. The body uses Wnt pathways in differentiating dermal progenitor cells into new pathways.
How do you use CBD to help with hair growth?
According to the study linked above, CBD’s effect on hair growth is, quote:
“The effects of CBD on hair growth are dose-dependent, and higher doses may result in premature entry into the catagen phase via a receptor known as vanilloid receptor-4 (TRPV4).”
What to remember:
- CBD hair treatment is slightly more beneficial to balding men than women.
- Daily application can help inhibit or prevent hair loss in both males and females.
- It may take up to six months for CBD hair treatment to work.
- The study claims that test subjects reported a significant 93.5% increase in the hair within 6 months.
- All subjects reported hair growth.
- CBD may have synergistic effects (you can use it with other treatments with little to no risk)
Variables including age, gender, and cause of hair loss may cause the results to vary. Consequently, if you are unsure of what is causing you to lose hair, we recommend consulting with a physician to find the cause.
Remember, androgenic alopecia is one cause of hair loss. Meaning the condition may be related to other issues, including:
- Thyroid problems.
- Medical and mental conditions, including stress, autoimmune disease, psoriasis, seborrheic dermatitis, anemia, polycystic ovary syndrome, and related conditions.
- Physical trauma to hair follicles.
- Diet deficiencies.
- Hair products, and extreme hair care.
Tips. How to find the underlying cause of hair loss
If hair loss is not age-related, you may find the cause by having your physician conduct the following tests. (1) blood test to discover any condition that may cause hair loss. (2) light microscopy. Helps to find disorders in the hair shaft. (3) scalp biopsy. Helps to find infections that may trigger hair loss.
Hair Loss Could also be Stress Related.
High-stress levels in humans can trigger three types of alopecia.
- Alopecia areata occurs when the immune system attacks the hair follicles. The condition is triggered by extreme stress.
- Trichotillomania. If you have this condition, you will experience an irresistible urge to pull your hair.
- Telogen effluvium. This condition pushes hair follicles into the resting phase causing hair to fall out while washing or combing.
How does CBD lower stress and increase hair growth?
Studies have proven that CBD helps to instill a sense of calmness in humans. Unlike THC, you will not experience the high effect, only relaxation or in some cases sleep.
What is vital to remember is that topical use and consumption of CBD can help combat symptoms related to panic disorders such as trichotillomania, depression, anxiety, post-traumatic stress disorder, and obsessive-compulsive disorder by dampening the user’s stress response.
However, the FDA is yet to approve CBD as a treatment for psychiatric conditions.
A study published in the journal of psychopharmacology found that, quote:
“These findings suggest that CBD increases CBF (Cerebral Blood Flow) to key regions involved in memory processing, particularly the hippocampus. These results identify potential mechanisms of CBD for a range of conditions associated with altered memory processing, including Alzheimer’s disease, schizophrenia, post-traumatic stress disorder, and cannabis-use disorders.”
What to remember:
- CBD may help you get better sleep and reduce anxiety. Anxiety and lack of sleep can cause hair loss.
- Research says CBD oil can help increase hair loss. We are unsure of the effects of CBD gummies, capsules, and vapes on hair loss (more studies are needed).
CBD’s Synergistic Effects: Does CBD oil Interact with other Hair Care Products?
Very few people are at risk of suffering allergic reactions to CBD. Because of that, we recommend using CBD in tandem with the following.
- Generic Rogaine. Rogaine is an over-the-counter treatment for male pattern baldness whose effects may be enhanced by CBD oil.
- Antifungal medication such as ketoconazole. You may use this medication if you have seborrheic dermatitis, cutaneous candidiasis, tinea, or Pityriasis Versicolor.
A holistic approach to hair loss treatment and stress
As mentioned, CBD plays a role in stress reduction and hair loss treatment. But an underlying illness may dampen its effects. Consequently, identify, the cause of hair loss and find a suitable treatment.
To make CBD more effective. You must:
- Eat a balanced diet. Malnutrition and a poor diet may lead to or fasten hair loss. Experts recommend foods rich in omega-3 acids and proteins.
- Keep your stress levels low. Stress is normal, but too much of it will lead to hair loss and many other problems. CBD consumption and topical products can help lower stress. But it helps to solve the cause of the stress, or accept that some things are out of your control.
Managing stress-related hair loss and CBD benefits
Stress does not cause hair loss/alopecia directly. Instead, what happens is stress triggers processes and imbalances that cause hair loss. the process could take days, months, or even years. Because of that, we recommend making CBD part of your nutrition and hair care.
- Add CBD and vitamin C, B, and E to your diet. Lack of said nutrients can lead to hair loss. We recommend consulting with a physician before adding nutritional supplements to your routine. However, there is no harm in consuming foods rich in vitamins C, B, and E. Combining the vitamins with CBD can help slow down or reverse hair loss.
- Exercise, find a hobby, and learn to breathe. If you are not calm, less oxygen reaches your brain resulting in more stress and anxiety. Lack of exercise can also have the same effect.
Take care of your gut.
The main cause of discomfort for many is bad gut health. If you do not take care of your gut, you may develop constipation, irritable bowel syndrome, Gerd, and other digestive disorders.
These disorders contribute to stress and anxiety and -by extension, hair loss.
How can I improve my gut health and hair loss?
The relationship between gut health and hair loss has been known to science for millennia. What you need to remember is that any disturbance in your digestive system may trigger a nutrient deficiency and anxiety, leading to hair loss.
Because of that, medical experts recommend that:
- Deworm regularly. Intestinal parasites can trigger not only stress, but also hair loss, skin conditions, blood loss, and even death. Consequently, you should deworm at least once every six months.
- Eat a healthy diet and manage stress.
- Limit hair care products. Avoid shampoos and hair care products that dry out your scalp.
How do you use CBD to help with hair loss?
There are a variety of wholesome ways to use CBD to improve health and stimulate hair growth. One option is to make CBD part of your treatment. If hair loss is disease-related, you may use CBD alongside prescribed hair loss medicine.
If you are prone to allergies, you may do a spot test. That entails applying a few drops directly on a clear patch of skin and waiting a few hours. If you notice redness, itching, or other allergy symptoms, you could be allergic.
You may use CBD for hair loss in the following ways:
- Add CBD oil to hair care products.
- Massage CBD oil directly to your scalp and hair.
- Ingest CBD oil and enjoy its anti-inflammatory and antioxidant effects.
Does CBD thicken or thin hair?
According to research, CBD contains a wide variety of amino acids. Said amino acids play a role in strengthening and thinning hair and stimulating it.