Loneliness is not a disease. But if left unchecked, it can escalate into heart disease, anxiety, depression, or stroke. Using CBD for loneliness is beneficial -in that- the non-psychoactive extract of hemp can help regulate mood and blood pressure. Cannabidiol can also help relieve stress, anxiety, and depression caused by isolation.
If you must or choose to spend the holidays on your own, below is what you need.
What is loneliness, and how can CBD help?
Some humans thrive in loneliness, and some cannot manage it. In some, long-term isolation can cause mental health issues, including psychosis, visual/auditory hallucination, stress, anxiety, and depression.
One knows that he is lonely if he exhibits a constant or unrelenting feeling of being alone. Isolation could be by choice or circumstances, meaning one may not have control of the cause.
If left unchecked, loneliness may impact the sufferer’s health in numerous ways.
Medical research suggests that isolation or loneliness can lead to conditions including:
- A weakened immune system.
- Heart disease.
- Cognitive decline.
If you have recently lost a spouse or partner, are isolated from friends or family, or have lost mobility, you are at elevated risk of developing the conditions above. Why?
Biologically, loneliness affects you in the following ways:
- Loneliness changes your perception of the world or people. One may become more negative, may harbor negative feelings, and he may experience auditory hallucinations. One may also feel threatened or mistrustful of everyone he encounters.
- Loneliness impacts one’s immune system increasing the risk of inflammation, pain, or related symptoms. There is evidence that loneliness may contribute to chronic illness and inflammation.
In short, what you need to remember is loneliness can be a base for mental and physical illness. It can also encourage the growth and spread of chronic inflammatory illnesses, including cancer. If inflammation occurs in the brain for sustained periods, it may lead to Alzheimer’s disease.
What is CBD for loneliness?
CBD, short for cannabidiol, is an extract of hemp or marijuana that, according to medical and anecdotal evidence, can prevent or manage illnesses or conditions that stem from loneliness. It is also a potent pain reliever and anxiolytic.
How does CBD help with loneliness?
The only cure for loneliness is companionship. But trying too hard to get a friend or company may also cause some problems, including anxiety. Ever get the feeling that you are lonelier than usual when you spend more time with people?
As a social being, the need to be part of a group can be overwhelming. CBD can help you deal with ‘isolation pains’ in the following ways.
CBD as a mood regulator.
The people around you or lack thereof, the weather, social pressures, or other stresses may impact your mood. One may become easily irritated, and some may seek or crave isolation. These mood changes can also be a consequence of other environmental and social causes.
CBD, according to anecdotal evidence (1) lifts your mood. (2) CBD relaxes the mind and body.
Better relaxation mean more sleep and fewer negative thoughts.
What about THC?
THC is also a mood regulator, but in some users, it can exacerbate loneliness. Remember, unlike CBD, THC is psychoactive.
The debate on whether marijuana is or is not a cure for loneliness is ongoing. What we do know is THC’s effects depend on the user. Some may experience deep relaxation, and some may notice increased anxiety for short periods.
Should I use THC or CBD during the holiday?
It depends on your state of mind and preference. We recommend only using CBD if you are prone to panic attacks/anxiety or are deeply stressed.
CBD for loneliness-induced anxiety.
Loneliness is one of the leading causes of stress, depression, and anxiety. Left unchecked, anxiety and depression can cause life-altering symptoms, including:
- Insomnia. Will affect your mood, energy, metabolism, and focus.
- Weight gain/loss.
- Psychosis. One may exhibit auditory hallucinations, delusions, paranoia, and so on.
- Hopelessness or risky behavior.
- Social withdrawal or isolation.
Is CBD a cure for seasonal loneliness?
CBD can help manage or prevent symptoms triggered by loneliness. For greater effect, it is recommended that one also does the following.
Is it seasonal or chronic loneliness?
Feeling isolated during the holidays, even when surrounded by friends and family, is a common occurrence. However, chronic isolation, as mentioned, increases the risk of conditions and diseases mentioned above. You know that you have chronic loneliness if you experience symptoms including:
- Substance abuse.
- Appetite changes.
- Fogginess or an inability to focus.
- You get sick more often (loneliness impacts immunity)
- Experience unexplained pains and aches.
- Self-doubts and feelings of worthlessness or hopelessness
It is worth mentioning that illnesses, including diabetes, emotional distress, high cholesterol, and chronic illness, may also cause said symptoms. Consequently, if you cannot pinpoint the cause of an issue, it is recommended that you consult with a physician.
The recommended treatment for chronic loneliness is regular CBD use coupled with:
- A support system. Contact a family member, relative, or someone you can trust. One may also join a support group. You may also use technology and social media to stay in touch. The point is to get at least 6 hours of human interaction daily. Having a pet that you can talk to or walk with is also recommended.
- Volunteer for the holidays. Volunteering forces you to share space with other humans.
- Reduce social media and technology use. Research suggests that social media addiction can lead to loneliness and depression.
CBD for loneliness: will it work?
CBD will uplift your mood, but the effects may wear out once the medicine exits your system. Because of that, use CBD when you need it or when negative thoughts or feelings creep up. You should also:
- Realize that there is nothing wrong with spending time alone or enjoying being alone. One only needs limited human interactions because too many human interactions can cause the problems you are trying to avoid.
- Your body needs exercise, the sun, and fresh air. Do not spend the entire season indoors.