Asthma is an inflammatory condition that causes swelling in the inner lining of the airways and mucous production. If you are considering using CBD for inflammation related to the condition, there are several benefits and risks you should be aware of.
Quick take: Is CBD good for inflammation and asthma?
- CBD is a bronchodilator -and can thus open your airways. 2) the FDA cautions pregnant and breastfeeding mothers from using cannabis products. 3) CBD has an excellent safety profile, meaning its use does not create a risk of tolerance or dependence.
According to patient self-reports, Reddit users, and limited medical studies, asthma patients who use CBD report a reduction in inhaler use.
- Asthma is an inflammatory immune system condition.
- CBD may help support immune response.
Below is everything you need to know about CBD for inflammation caused by asthma.
Is asthma considered inflammatory, and how can CBD Tea help?
Do you experience breathing difficulties? One of the causes could be asthma, an inflammatory disease that affects at least 25 million in the US according to the CDC.
Asthma is not contagious, meaning that you cannot catch it from someone else. The condition begins internally, and the majority of persons who have it start to exhibit symptoms during childhood. Because of that, if it “runs in the family” and you exhibit symptoms -it could be asthma.
But to be sure, it is always advisable to seek medical care.
What to remember:
- There is currently no cure for asthma. However, the condition can be managed -through lifestyle changes, medication, and CBD.
- Poor indoor air quality, allergens, exposure to harsh chemicals, secondhand smoke, and anxiety are common asthma triggers.
- One may develop asthma during childhood or adult hood.
- Some may exhibit asthma symptoms daily, and symptoms may come and go in others.
- You are at elevated risk of suffering an asthma attack if you have a viral infection or during exercise or physically demanding activity.
- Asthma attacks should last a few minutes. If an attack persists, consider seeing a physician.
Is it asthma, or are you out of shape?
Being obese or out of shape can cause asthma like symptoms, excluding coughing.
Asthma attacks: When to see a doctor
It is recommended that you seek medical attention immediately if an asthma attack is accompanied by the following symptoms.
- Failure to react to medication or inhaler.
- Problems talking, walking, or breathing.
- Rapid breathing.
- Bluish or pale lips, fingernails, or face.
What is CBD tea, and can it help manage asthma symptoms?
CBD tea refers to a combination of CBD and tea leaves. You may invest in teas infused with CBD, or you may add a few drops of CBD to your tea.
What is vital to remember is that if you have asthma, it is in your best medical interest not to smoke or vape CBD or other substance. Smoking and vaping are problematic in that they may cause irritation and introduce allergens, water, and carcinogens into the lungs -exacerbating asthma symptoms.
How does CBD tea help with asthma?
According to anecdotal evidence, CBD use reduces the frequency of inhaler use in asthma patients. Medical research supports this claim because, according to findings, CBD can reduce airway inflammation. The linked study found that:
- CBD reduced airway inflammation regardless of dosage. But it is recommended that you keep the dose below 1500mg a day.
- CBD reduced hyperresponsiveness to environmental triggers.
- Cannabidiol can reduce collagen fiber content in the airway and alveolar septa.
- CBD reduces inflammation in the lungs.
What are the symptoms of asthma, and how can CBD help?
Inflammation in the lungs will cause symptoms including:
- Breathing difficulties.
- Chest tightness
- Insomnia triggered by breathing problems.
That happens because as air enters your lungs, inflammation causes the airways to shrink. The body also releases mucous, leading to clogging.
If you have asthma, you may experience symptoms including:
- Irritability. Allergens or environmental factors may cause irritability leading to narrowed airways.
- Inflammation in the lungs.
- Blockage. Tight muscles will make it harder for air to squeeze through.
An asthma attack can happen at any time, especially if you have anxiety or depression.
CBD has anxiolytic properties, meaning consumption may reduce the risk of suffering an attack triggered by anxiety. For external triggers, it is recommended that you combine CBD consumption with the following.
- Improve indoor air quality or increase circulation.
- Avoid exposure to fumes and harsh chemicals. A face mask may help when out and about.
- Keep the child away from common triggers, including dust, pollen, pets, and so on.
- Get more exercise.
- Reduce stress and anxiety.
Is it okay to give CBD to minors?
CBD is nonpsychoactive and will thus not cause a high. For legal reasons, it is recommended that you check state laws. However, CBD products that contain less than 0.3% THC are legal to purchase, possess, or use.
- Avoid or reduce smoking or vaping.
- Avoid or reduce exposure to tobacco, harsh fumes, and chemicals.
- Use CBD to reduce anxiety and depression.
What are the risk factors?
According to medical research you are at elevated risk of developing asthma if:
- You are a biological male.
- Teen or adult female.
- Exposure to harsh chemicals or allergens at your place of work.
- If asthma “runs in the family.”
Is there a cure for asthma?
Currently, there is no cure for asthma, but as mentioned, the condition can be managed and attacks prevented. Asthma is classified as mild, severe, moderate, or intermittent, depending on the number of attacks one experiences.
- Severe persistent asthma. Refers to asthma symptoms that occur daily. CBD use may help reduce the occurrence. Treatment includes medicines for long-term control and quick-relief medications.
- The doctor may recommend anti-inflammatories, long-acting bronchodilators, and anticholinergics.
What is vital to remember is that asthma treatment depends on the type of asthma you have, the triggers, and age.
What are bronchodilators
Bronchodilators refer to a type of medicine designed to relax tightened airway muscles. The medicines could be oral or injectable.
CBD for Inflammation: CBD as a bronchodilator
As mentioned, asthma causes airway inflammation. CBD, when ingested can open airways, induce a state of relaxation (relaxes muscles), and relieve anxiety. There are multiple ways to consume CBD, including gummies, CBD teas, sublingual placement, and consumables.
CBD for asthma: what are the benefits?
CBD is a non-psychoactive extract of hemp that may benefit asthma patients in the following ways.
CBD can relieve chest pain and inflammation
During an asthma attack, inflammation and pressure may cause pain. One may experience sharp pain in the chest that may resemble a heart attack. Asthma-related pain comes and goes, meaning if the pain is persistent, something else could be at play. If you experience persistent chest pain for more than a week despite using asthma medication, you should consult with a physician.
Why not use over-the-counter pain relievers and opioids?
Compared to other painkillers, CBD has an excellent safety profile. The majority of users tolerate the chemical without experiencing side effects or developing dependence. According to some studies, CBD can be used to treat opioid addiction or as a safe pain killer.
According to ongoing medical studies, CBD may relieve pain and inflammation anywhere in or on the body through interactions with the endocannabinoid system. CBD may also lower sensitivity to environmental asthma triggers.
The study linked above concluded that, quote:
“There was a significant and inverse correlation between CB1 levels and lung function in asthmatic patients. CBD treatment decreased the inflammatory and remodeling processes in the model of allergic asthma. The mechanisms of action appear to be mediated by CB1/CB2 signaling, but these receptors may act differently on lung inflammation and remodeling.”
CBD alleviates stress, anxiety, and depression
The problem with some asthma medicines, including inhalers, stimulants, and bronchodilators is that they may also cause anxiety.
CBD is a proven treatment for anxiety, and there is evidence that it can improve sleep patterns. By helping promote sleep, alleviating pain, and regulating mood. CBD can help asthma patients better manage stress, anxiety, and depression.
Other benefits of using CBD if you have anxiety include:
- Muscle spasm relief.
- CBD is an immunosuppressant and can thus slow or stop an overreactive immune system.
- CBD is a muscle relaxant that may help reduce the symptoms of asthma, including difficulty breathing.
- Cannabidiol is a proven treatment for mood disorders, insomnia, and anxiety.
CBD for inflammation: how do I use cannabidiol to relieve asthma symptoms?
You must make lifestyle changes and consider using CBD regularly to lessen the risk.
CBD for inflammation: lifestyle changes to make if you have asthma and how cannabidiol can help.
If you have asthma or are at risk, lifestyle changes, including getting enough sleep, stress and anxiety reduction, exercise, good nutrition, and limiting exposure to environmental factors, can help manage symptoms. CBD has benefits for said lifestyle changes and asthma.
What are lifestyle habits that can make asthma worse?
Being aware of the triggers is the first step in managing asthma symptoms. For persons living with asthma, it is in your best interest to avoid:
First-hand and second-hand tobacco smoke.
If you are healthy or have asthma, smoking is bad for you -in that- it damages cilia -referring to small hair-like projections in the airway. Tobacco smoke increases mucus production, causes lung inflammation and irritation, and smoking increases the risk of lung cancer.
Giving up smoking can be difficult if you are addicted. According to a study published in the National Library of Medicine, CBD reduces cigarette consumption in tobacco smokers.
The study recommends the use of CBD Inhalers as a substitute for smoking.
A related study concluded that, quote:
“A single 800‐mg oral dose of cannabidiol reduced the salience and pleasantness of cigarette cues, compared with placebo, after overnight cigarette abstinence in dependent smokers. Cannabidiol did not influence tobacco craving, or withdrawal or any subjectively rated side effects.”
That said. If you are trying to quit smoking, you should:
- Create a support system that discourages smoking. Avoid sharing spaces or being close to smokers because it increases temptation.
- Relieve stress and anxiety. You may need an outlet to substitute smoking.
- Identify your triggers and avoid them.
- Get rid of tobacco paraphernalia.
- Eat healthily and reward yourself for your effort.
- Create a goal or reason you should quit smoking.
You may also seek professional help.
Clean your home and bedding regularly/ Minimize exposure to environmental asthma attack triggers
Microscopic organisms, including dust mites, may cause allergic reactions and asthma attacks. To keep such organisms from becoming a problem, it is recommended that you keep humidity levels low, regularly vacuum, and invest in allergen-proof bedding.
It is also advisable to ensure that your home or workplace is properly ventilated.
Additionally, you should get rid of pests, including cockroaches that may cause an asthma attack. One way to get rid of roaches is boric acid. Unlike other pesticides, boric acid has low toxicity.
Get enough sleep.
The average adult requires at least 7 hours of sleep a day. Sleep is good in that it supports the immune system.
What happens if you do not get enough sleep?
- You may experience uncontrolled or daily asthma attacks.
- A weakened immune system caused by lack of sleep increases the risk of infections, including the flu, that may exacerbate asthma symptoms.
How does CBD affect sleep?
According to existing medical data, CBD can help you get better sleep by reducing anxiety and chronic pain.
Animal studies suggest that:
- CBD can increase the total percentage of sleep.
- At lower doses, CBD decreases REM latency and increases at higher doses (at high doses CBD is a mild sedative).
- CBD counteracts the negative effects of THC. When combined, the chemicals can increase sleepiness.
To improve sleep quality, it is also recommended that you do the following.
- Create a routine. Go to bed at around the same hour and avoid taking long naps during the day.
- Do not consume alcohol or caffeine at bedtime.
- Limit device usage, including cellphones, tablets, and other sources of blue light at bedtime.
Get plenty of exercise
A sedentary lifestyle coupled with smoking and exposure to allergens may worsen asthma symptoms. One of the many benefits of regular exercise is that it boosts your immune system and can help relieve inflammation.
Another benefit of exercise is that it improves lung function.
However, there are some risks, among them, some exercises may induce asthma. According to medical experts, the recommended exercises for asthmatics include:
- Breathing exercises and meditation. Practice diaphragmatic breathing, avoid mouth breathing, or practice pursed lip breathing.
- Swimming. Warning. chlorine may trigger asthma attacks in some asthmatics.
- Walking on warm days. Cold air is bad for asthmatics.
Exercises to avoid if you have asthma
Sports that require continuous activity, such as soccer, marathons, and cold weather sports may worsen asthma symptoms. We recommend:
- Use an inhaler or long-term asthma medication before exercising or playing sports.
- Stay warm on cold days. You may wear a scarf or mask on cold days.
CBD for inflammation: Are there any risks asthmatics should be aware of?
If you are on asthma medicines, it is vital to take medication as instructed by a physician. CBD should be used as a complementary or preventative measure.
Remember, not all asthmatics are on the same medicines, and some medicines may interact with CBD. Because of that, if you suffer from severe asthma you should consult with a physician before using CBD.
CBD has a good safety profile, and the side effects are mild. Consumption may trigger side effects, including dry mouth, fatigue, and diarrhea.
CBD for inflammation: Is CBD good for asthma?
CBD offers asthmatics relief from inflammation, pain, and anxiety. It is also useful in promoting sleep, and it can help manage asthma symptoms by opening airways.
However, more studies are needed to verify the long-term effects of CBD on asthma.
We thus recommend consulting with a physician if you have concerns about CBD usage and asthma.