Animal and human trials in the US and other parts of the planet overwhelmingly claim that CBD, a non-psychoactive cannabinoid in hemp or cannabis plants, can help prevent or cure depression. Formal research into CBD’s potential benefits is still ongoing. But as of now, the FDA is yet to approve the compound as a medicine for depression.
If your job, health, or current global occurrences are the cause of your depression. Below is everything you need to know on how CBD can help you manage depression.
Quick take: Can CBD cure depression?
- CBD can treat or prevent depression and negative thoughts, according to anecdotal evidence and animal studies.
- CBD is non psychoactive, meaning it does not cause dependence or addiction.
- Contaminated products may worsen depression. We recommend buying from reliable sources,
- CBD complements treatment, so if depression is disease related, do not abandon treatment. We recommend consulting with a physician.
- By treating chronic pain, CBD can help prevent depression.
- The FDA is yet to approve CBD as treatment for depression because more research is needed.
Is CBD an antidepressant?
According to a study published in the National Library of Medicine, yes, CBD may have uses as an anti-depressant. The researchers concluded that, quote:
“Cannabidiol (CBD) is a constituent non-psychotomimetic of Cannabis sativa with great psychiatric potential, including uses as an antidepressant-like and anxiolytic-like compound…CBD exhibited an anti-anxiety and antidepressant effect in animal models discussed. Experiments with CBD demonstrated non-activation of neuroreceptors CB1 and CB2. Most of the studies demonstrated a good interaction between CBD and the 5-HT1A neuro-receptor.”
Is CBD psychoactive?
Unlike prescribed anti-depressants, CBD is non-psychoactive. Meaning, consumption creates little to no risk of addiction or dependence.
Traditional anti-depressants enter the brain and modify your behaviors, emotions, and thoughts. That may lead to dependents or other issues, including:
- Sexual problems
The side effects of CBD, as explained in a previous article, are mild and diminish once the user ceases use. The probability of experiencing adverse side effects is minimal if the CBD product you are consuming is not contaminated.
Contaminants that may cause or worsen depression include opioids and synthetic chemicals.
We recommend purchasing CBD products from trustable vendors.
CBD can be a product of hemp or cannabis plants. Any cannabis or hemp product that contains more than 0.3% THC is legally marijuana. Meaning traveling with it or giving it to a minor may lead to legal problems.
Current evidence says that CBD is not only useful in treating depression, but it may also have uses in treating (1) stress and anxiety. (2) cognitive impairment. (3) chronic pain.
What is the connection?
Chronic pain occurs when one experiences pain continuously or on and off for at least 15 days a month. For most persons who have depression in the US, chronic pain is the trigger.
What causes depression, and how can cannabidiol help?
Apart from chronic pain, depression may stem from:
- Drug and alcohol abuse. Once the high dissipates, you are at a higher risk of feeling depressed.
- Abuse at any stage of life or personal problems.
- Genes. Some people are at higher risk of depression because of their genes.
- Sex. Depression rates are higher in women than in men.
- Death or loss.
- An underlying illness.
- Long-term stress and anxiety.
How does CBD help with depression?
According to medical research, CBD’s effect on depression comes from the cannabinoid’s effect on serotonin receptors in the human brain.
That is not to say that CBD boosts serotonin levels. What happens is CBD may influence the patient’s brain’s chemical receptors’ response to serotonin.
One of the many factors that make CBD a safe treatment for depression is that it causes fewer side effects, and the chemical can help treat or control symptoms related to over 50 medical conditions and illnesses. That is according to anecdotal evidence and medical research.
According to research, persons who suffer from the following illnesses are at higher risk of depression
- Cancer. CBD will not cure cancer, but it can help the patient manage pain and the side effects of chemotherapy.
- Chronic pain. Patients may use CBD and THC to avoid opioid-based pain killers that often cause more problems than they solve.
- Thyroid problems. Studies indicate that Cannabidiol may support thyroid health and reduce symptoms associated with thyroid problems.
- Heart disease. CBD can reduce hypertension and improve circulation, reducing strain on the heart.
- Autoimmune disease. CBD has immune suppressive and anti-inflammatory properties, indicating that it may have uses in the management of immune disorders, including Lupus and HIV (more research is necessary).
- Diabetes. CBD has anti-inflammatory properties making it useful in the management of diabetes.
- Multiple sclerosis.
CBD and depression: what you need to know
- Animal and human trials indicate that CBD has anxiolytic and antidepressant properties.
- CBD exhibits anti-stress and anti-depressant effects in the short and long run.
- CBD poses little to no risk of addiction because the compound does not activate the brain’s endocannabinoid receptors directly.
- Cannabidiol can be used to treat stress, anxiety, and panic disorders that may cause depression.
How much CBD should you take for anxiety?
Left unchecked. Anxiety may escalate into stress and depression. According to human models, 300 milligrams of CBD is enough to lower anxiety in adults. However, the effects are dependent on the quality of the product and the consumer.
We, therefore, recommend starting at small doses and increasing consumption until you find a dose you are comfortable with. The risk of overdosing is non-existent if the product is not contaminated.
How to use CBD products for depression
CBD comes packaged in many forms, it could be tinctures, infused in oils, capsules, gummies, and other consumables. The more you use it, the better its effects. So, we recommend a consumption method that you find appropriate.
Is vaping CBD bad?
Vaping CBD or other products is unsafe but not as unsafe as smoking. The issue with vaping is that it increases the risk of upper respiratory tract infections and introduces water into the lungs.
What is the fastest way to cure depression?
Depression lives in the shadows; you may have it and not know it. What you need to remember is that being unhappy or angry are not clear indicators of depression because those are human emotions. You know that you may have depression if:
- You have a hopeless outlook on life. You may feel unworthy, the need to hurt yourself, guilt, recurring thoughts, self-blame, and so on.
- Insomnia, fatigue, and anxiety are interconnected and may lead to depression.
- Zero interest in work, hobbies, sex, and other activities that you once had an interest in.
- Irritability, misplaced anger, uncontrollable emotions, or mood swings.
- Risky behavior, including substance abuse.
- Changes in appetite and weight.
- Suicidal thoughts or feelings of imminent doom.
How to cure depression using CBD
If there is an underlying cause, you must deal with it or accept that you have no influence over it. That way, you can begin your treatment journey knowing what you need to avoid. Making CBD part of your treatment is beneficial -in that- it can prevent negative thoughts, improve sleep quality, encourage relaxation, and help you control your emotions.
For a greater effect on depression, medical experts recommend that you combine CBD consumption with the following.
- Create a routine. This will add structure to your life, and you will not have to second guess what you should be doing. Do not forget to set some time for yourself and reward your efforts.
- Stay active and exercise. Exercise is good for your health, and it can keep your mind off the factors that are outside your control or influence.
- Set goals first thing in the morning and long-term goals. Relaxation, and having a good time can also be goals. So do not work yourself into depression.
- Eat healthy foods. Some foods, including caffeine, junk food, alcohol, processed food, and sugars may worsen depression. Some may find joy in cooking.
- Accept negative thoughts. The human in you will always see the negative side of things. Do not avoid negative thoughts, instead, go through them and accept the things you cannot change.
Fun and Relaxation
Depression is often the product of an overactive brain. Maybe you feel that you are not where you should be in life, maybe it is work, maybe it is a disease, or something else. Through it, try to find some joy in everything.
Use CBD regularly
CBD has anti-inflammatory, anxiolytic, and antidepressant properties, and it is a safe pain reliever. More research is needed, but what we do know is that the chemical can be beneficial to persons who have stress, anxiety, and depression.
If you have an underlying condition or are on medication, consult with a physician before using CBD or other supplements.