CBD gummies and other consumables promise users pain relief, anxiety reduction, better sleep, and better health. But how safe is the product you are consuming? Should you expect legal troubles if a child under your care consumes CBD gummies or other consumables?
Can you travel with CBD sweets across the state and international borders? Below is everything you need to know about CBD consumables, including legal and safety warnings.
Quick take: CBD gummies explained.
- CBD affects users in different ways, some can tolerate high doses and some may develop mild side effects.
- The legal age for using cannabis products is 21. Younger users require a medical marijuana card to gain access.
- Hemp derived CBD is legal across all states.
- Full spectrum CBD products may contain THC.
- Travelling with CBD gummies across international borders may lead to criminal charges.
- CBD gummies are non psychoactive.
- Consult with a physician before consumption if you have an underlying illness.
What are the types of CBD products?
In North America, CBD products are available in two forms. 1. CBD isolate refers to the purest form of CBD. It does not contain a carrier oil, nor does it have THC. If you consume this product, you will not test positive for THC/marijuana. (2) Full spectrum/broad spectrum CBD refers to products that contain almost 400 compounds and chemicals found in the cannabis plant, including THC. If you do not want to experience a high, only consume products that contain less than 0.3% THC. Some manufacturers remove all traces of THC in broad-spectrum versions.
What do CBD gummies contain?
It depends on the manufacturer, so for better insight you should check the product ingredients.
What you need to remember is that the FDA classifies any products that contain more than 0.3% THC as cannabis/marijuana.
Is it CBD or hemp gummies?
Hemp gummies do not contain THC or CBD because they are a product of hemp oil which is extracted from the seeds. Hemp gummies may offer users nutritional benefits, including vitamins, fatty acids, and minerals present in the hemp plant.
Are hemp gummies a substitute for CBD gummies?
The benefits CBD gummies offer users are different from hemp gummies in that, in CBD gummies -CBD is the main active ingredient. Whereas, hemp seed oil, as mentioned does not contain CBD.
What are the differences between CBD and hemp gummies?
|CBD Gummies||Hemp Gummies||commonalities|
|CBD gummies may contain THC. Check product instructions to be sure.||Do not contain THC or CBD.||Both offer users anti-inflammatory properties. 0.3% THC will not cause a high.|
|It May help reduce or prevent anxiety||Contains fatty acids, vitamins, and trace minerals.||Promote sleep and relaxation.|
|Can improve sleep and aid workout recovery.||Extracted from hemp seeds.|
|Extracted from cannabis or hemp plants.||Fewer restrictions.|
|May contain THC.||Legal on the federal level|
|Restriction depends on state law.|
Table 1: Difference between CBD gummies and Hemp Gummies.
Are CBD gummies legal in the US?
Under the farm bill (federal law), it is now lawful for persons in the states to extract and possess CBD products. Under the statute, hemp is no longer classified as cannabis/marijuana. In other words, any product that contains less than 0.3% THC is legally not marijuana.
However, the majority of states, including California, have restrictions. So, it is in your best interest to check local laws.
States where CBD remains illegal include:
- Idaho. CBD products in the state must contain less than 0.3% THC and be derivatives of one of the five parts of the cannabis plant.
- Iowa. CBD must contain less than 0.3% THC.
- South Dakota. Legal on the condition that the product contains less than 0% THC.
Hemp CBD is legal in all states.
Find out how to get a medical marijuana card in states that are yet to legalize weed.
What to remember
- In some states, you cannot sell CBD products in combination with food items outside of a licensed cannabis store.
- There are no CBD restrictions in North Dakota, New Mexico, and New Jersey. Regulations may come in the future; we will keep you updated.
Can I cross state or international borders with CBD Gummies?
As mentioned, products that contain less than 0.3% THC are no longer classified as marijuana, meaning traveling with hemp or CBD products in small amounts is unlikely to cause legal problems. What can get you into legal trouble is traveling with hemp or marijuana products internationally.
The majority of countries discourage the importation of marijuana and its products, meaning you could go to prison in a foreign land for a long time if arrested.
Is it okay to take CBD gummies if you are on medication?
If your goal is to cure an illness or symptoms, it is good practice to consult with a physician before consuming CBD or other supplements.
It is also advisable to only buy CBD gummies and other consumables from reliable sources. Why?
To increase weight, potency, or profit, some manufacturers may deliberately contaminate their products. The contamination may also be a consequence of pesticide use, poor storage, and exposure during transportation.
Contaminated gummies or other consumables may cause adverse side effects, including nausea, worsening pain, and so on. You want to avoid any product that contains:
- toxic solvents, including benzene, hexane, and petroleum.
- Heavy metals, molds, bacteria, aflatoxins, or other contaminants that may originate from poor storage or transportation.
- Pesticides and synthetic cannabinoids. We recommend sourcing from trustable local sources.
Are CBD gummies good for anxiety?
According to a study published in the National Library of Medicine. Yes, CBD can help relieve anxiety. The researchers concluded that, quote:
“We found that existing preclinical evidence strongly supports CBD as a treatment for generalized anxiety disorder, panic disorder, social anxiety disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder, and post-traumatic stress disorder when administered acutely; however, few studies have investigated chronic CBD dosing.”
What are the cons of taking CBD gummies?
The majority of users do not experience adverse side effects after taking CBD. Some users may experience diarrhea, nausea, and fatigue.
If the products contain more than 0.3% THC, you may test positive for marijuana.
What strength gummies should I start with?
What you need to remember is that the effects of CBD are dose-dependent. Taking too much of it may cause adverse side effects, and too little may not yield the expected outcome.
Therefore, check the manufacturer’s instructions or recommendations and if unsure, start with low doses and work your way up to a level you are comfortable with.
Medical experts recommend:
- Between 10 to 30 milligrams for better sleep.
- For anxiety, the recommended dose is 15 to 30 milligrams.
You may need higher doses to relieve pain and inflammation.
What to remember:
- CBD potency varies in gummies.
- Your body weight, bioavailability, and the desired effect determine dosage. Meaning if you want to experience CBD’s sedative properties, higher doses are recommended, and at low doses, you will experience the chemical’s stimulating effects.
How many CBD gummies should you take in a day?
There is no right dosage for CBD gummies because the effects are dose-dependent and the experience is not uniform across users. It is also impossible to overdose on CBD because the chemical does not interact with the part of your brain that controls respiratory functions.
That said: You should avoid taking too much or too little.
Can I give CBD gummies to my child?
If the child has a qualifying condition, you will need a medical marijuana card. The legal age for using cannabis extracts in the states is 21.
Are CBD gummies safe to take?
It depends on the quality of the product; we recommend purchasing from licensed manufacturers.
Are CBD gummies addictive?
According to the FDA and World Health Organization, CBD is not addictive.
Are CBD gummies better than oil?
The effects are similar, so it depends on potency and user preferences.